Imagine you’re in a race.
You’ve been training for months, eating healthy, and working on your form. You’re confident you’ll do well, but as you start running, you realize you’re not alone.
In fact, there are dozens of other runners beside you, all trying to get to the finish line first.
This is precisely what getting your website to the top of local search rankings looks like. You can work on your on-page SEO and ensure your website is optimized for your target keywords, but you need to have some decent backlinks pointing to your site to outrun your competitors.
Backlinks are like little votes of confidence for your website. When other websites link to your content, they’re telling search engines that your site is a trustworthy and authoritative source of information.
And just like in a race, the more votes of confidence you have, the better chance you have of coming out on top.
But it’s about more than just the quantity of backlinks you have. Quality matters too. You want to make sure that the websites linking to your content are reputable and relevant to your industry. Think of it like a relay race. You want to pass the baton to someone capable of running the next leg of the race without dropping the baton.
With a solid backlink strategy, you can outrun your competitors and cross the finish line first.
Here are some practical tips to select the right directory for your website.
- Tips for selecting the right directories
- Strategies for optimizing your listing in the directory
- Free directories you can submit your business to
- Best tools for local SEO backlink building
- Top backlink analysis tools that you can use
- Common mistakes to avoid in local SEO backlink building
Tips for selecting the right directories
Directory submission can be a bit overwhelming.
There are so many directories out there it takes time to figure out where to start. It’s like trying to choose a flavor at an ice cream shop with 50 different options.
But don’t worry; there are some tips and tricks to help you select the right directories to submit to.
Is the directory relevant to your business?
Just like you wouldn’t order a hot fudge sundae at a pizza shop, you don’t want to submit your website to a directory that has nothing to do with your industry or location.
Make sure the directory is relevant to your business and the area you serve.
Does the directory look a tad spammy?
Submit your website to directories with a good reputation and are trusted by search engines. SEO agencies use various metrics to measure reputation and trust. Sometimes it can get overly complicated. My suggestion is look at the site and ask yourself would you like to be associated with this site? What kind of listings do they have?
Check for updates and activities
Check to see if the directory is active and regularly updated. You don’t want to submit your website to a directory that hasn’t been updated since the early 2000s. It’s comparable to trying to join a club that no longer exists.
Strategies for optimizing your listing in a directory
Here are some strategies you can use to optimize your directory listings for better local SEO results:
- Make sure your listing is complete and accurate. It’s like filling out your player profile before the game. Your name, location, and contact information should be all correct and up-to-date.
- Use relevant keywords in your listing. Think of it like choosing the right weapon for the game. Use keywords that accurately describe your business and your services. Try to stuff your listing with only a few keywords, or you might get penalized by search engines.
- Include photos and videos in your listing. This is like customizing your character in a game. Make your listing stand out from the competition and give potential customers a better sense of who you are and what you do.
- Ask for reviews from your customers. This is like building up your reputation points in a game. Positive reviews can help improve your local search rankings and make your listing more attractive to potential customers.
- Be sure you’re tracking your results and adjusting as needed. It’s like analyzing your gameplay after the fact and adjusting for the next round. By monitoring your local search rankings and analyzing your directory listing data, you can identify areas for improvement and make changes to your strategy.
Free directories you can submit your business to
Many directories are out there just waiting for you to submit your business.
But, heads up, not all of them are created equal.
Some are like gold, while others are more like rusty old pennies.
So, to help you on your journey to online success, here are a few free directories worth checking out:
GBP is your superhero utility belt – essential for any local SEO strategy. By claiming your business listing on Google Business Profile, you can ensure your business appears in local search results, including Google Maps.
Free Times Ad is a great place to submit your ad for free. Post your ad and promote your business, making it accessible to a broader audience. It’s a great way to reach potential customers and increase your online visibility without spending money.
FinderMaster is another free website you can submit your business to. Get access to a wider audience in just three simple steps.
- Create your account.
- Verify and activate your account using a credit card.
- Get access to your content.
Digital Marketing Hints is a great place for local classified and business Ads. You can post about your services, real estate and vehicle business, and even your online tutoring business. Give it a try and see how it can benefit your business!
Best tools For local SEO backlink building
Local SEO backlink building can be daunting, but various tools and resources are available to help you. Think of these tools as your trusty sidekick in your local SEO superhero adventure.
First up, we have Moz
Think of Moz as your trusty sidekick who helps you navigate the world of local citations. Moz Local can help you manage your business listings across multiple directories and ensure your information is accurate and up-to-date.
Second, we have BrightLocal
BrightLocal has a superhero teleportation ability – it can help you manage your local SEO efforts from anywhere in the world. BrightLocal offers a variety of tools to help you manage your local citations, track your online reviews, and monitor your local search rankings.
Note: Moz & Bright Local are paid tools; you must pay to distribute your website to the directories!
Top backlink analysis tools that you can use
You also need backlink analysis tools to gain insights into the quality and quantity of backlinks pointing to your website. Backlink tools are like treasure maps for finding links to your websites. I have a list of three top tools that make it easy for you to discover where your links are coming from:
- Ahrefs – This tool is like a superhero for backlink analysis. It’s got everything you need to find out who’s linking to your site, plus some extra tools for checking out your competitors.
- Majestic – If Ahrefs is a superhero, then Majestic is like a wise old owl. It’ll give you a bird’s-eye view of all your backlinks and help you see which pages on your site are getting the most links.
- SEMrush – We all know the power of SEMrush, don’t we? It’s more like your superhero strength – it can help you analyze your website’s backlink profile and identify areas for improvement. SEMrush can also help you track your local search rankings and monitor your competitors’ SEO strategies.
With these backlink analysis tools, you can track down all those elusive links and take your website to the next level.
Common mistakes to avoid in local SEO backlink building
As you move forward with your journey to boost your website’s rankings and dominate the search engine results pages, there are some common mistakes that you’ll want to steer clear of.
Mistake #1: Focusing only on quantity, not quality
Ah, the siren song of backlinks – the more, the merrier, right?
Well, not necessarily.
While it’s true that having a high number of backlinks can be beneficial for your SEO, it’s crucial to remember that quality trumps quantity. It’s better to have a few high-quality backlinks from reputable sources than a ton of low-quality ones from spammy websites.
So, avoid getting caught up in the numbers game, and ensure you’re pursuing backlinks that will benefit your website in the long run.
Mistake #2: Ignoring the local aspect
As the name suggests, local SEO backlink building targets a specific geographic area. That means you’ll want to focus on getting backlinks from local sources – think neighborhood blogs, community directories, and local news outlets. Avoid chasing after backlinks from far-flung websites irrelevant to your local area.
Remember, establishing your website as a trusted and authoritative source within your community is the goal.
Mistake #3: Being overly aggressive
Backlink building can be a delicate dance – you want to seek new opportunities but avoid being pushy or spammy proactively. Please bombard other websites with backlink requests or leave overly promotional comments on their posts.
Instead, focus on building genuine relationships with other website owners and offering value to their readers. Doing so will create a network of allies more likely to link to your website organically.
Mistake #4: Neglecting your website
While pursuing backlinks from other websites is important, remember to focus on your site. Ensure your website is SEO optimized, with high-quality content and a user-friendly design. The more useful your website is to visitors, the more likely they will link to it on their own accord.
Build backlinks to improve your chances of winning the local SEO race. Reach out to other websites in your industry and ask if they’d be willing to link to your content. Submit your site to local directories and make sure your listings are accurate and up-to-date. And remember to create great content that people will want to link to naturally.
Who knows? You might even get a shiny trophy in the form of more traffic, leads, and sales.
If you’re a local business looking to enhance your online presence and attract more customers, don’t hesitate to reach out.
We’ll work with you to develop digital marketing strategy that will improve your rankings and increase your organic traffic through core web site optimization and healthy backlink building.